To no one's surprise, the Knicks fired Mike Woodson this morning. Woodson was named Knicks interrim coach in March 2012 and had the interim tag removed in May.
Woodson's firing does not affect Jack Capuano's rank -- he already was the longest tenured coach of the five winter teams in the New York area.
Of the nine New York head coaches/managers, only Tom Coughlin, Rex Ryan and Joe Girardi have longer tenures than Jack Capuano, who assumed his role with the Islanders eight days before Terrry Collins became the manager of the Mets.
With Barry Trotz' dismissal last week, Capuano is also the 7th longest-tenured (single team, single tenure) coach in the NHL.
- Detroit Red Wings Mike Babcock 2005 704
- Boston Bruins Claude Julien 2007 538
- San Jose Sharks Todd McLellan 2008 458
- Chicago Blackhawks Joel Quenneville 2008 434
- Pittsburgh Penguins Dan Bylsma 2009 400
- Phoenix Coyotes Dave Tippett 2009 376
- New York Islanders Jack Capuano 2010 277
Forever1940 is the nom de plume of Eric Hornick, statistician on Islander home telecasts since January 21, 1982. Visit my blog: NYISkinny.com and follow me on Twitter @ehornick