1. Josef Vasicek has scored the Islanders' first goal in all three games against NJ. Vasicek now has seven goals on the year (including the only two shorties that the Isles have scored) and has recorded eight of his 68 career goals against the Devils.
2. Rick DiPietro records his 13th career shutout and 99th career victory as the Isles become the final Atlantic Division opponent to blank the Devils this year (NJ has been shutout five times this season). It's the Isles first shutout against NJ since a scoreless tie (Vanbiesbrouck/Brodeur) on December 1, 2000 and the first time the Isles have beaten New Jersey by shutout since Glenn Healy blanked the Devils 7-0 on April 15, 1992. Brodeur, making his fourth NHL appearance, played the third period of that game.
3. The Isles have played six consecutive one-goal games, winning three and losing three. It's the first time in club history that . the Isles have ever played six consecutive 1-goal games. (The Isles did play 7 consecutive games in 2001 decided by one goal or less)
and a few more..
4. The Isles are taking this Hummer Metro Cup seriously -- they're now 5-0 against the Rangers and Devils this season (and have won seven straight against the two rivals counting two wins last April).
5. The last ten Islander-Devil games have been decided by either one or two goals -- the Devils won the first six games and the Isles won the last four games. Two of those games were tied in the final 2 seconds of regulation--once by each team.
6. The Isles are 3-0 vs. the Devils this season, and have won four straight over New Jersey, (dating back to last year). It's the first time that the Isles have won the first three games of a season series from New Jersey since 1985-86.
Forever1940 is the nom de plume of FSN statistician Eric Hornick.