It was quite a week for Josh Bailey and John Tavares, as they combined for 17 points (8 for Bailey and 9 for Tavares) to both reach the 40 p...
Tuesday, December 09, 2008
Stat Trick: Toronto 4, Isles 2
It's five (regulation losses) in six games for the 2nd time this season... paging the draft lottery board...on to the trick.
1. No Canada -- tonight's loss stops an Islander five game winning streak against Canadian opponents; it's their first win in three games in Canada this season.
2. Old friend Jason Blake had the winning goal and later recorded his 200th NHL assist. He had three points on the night, giving him six points in his last three games.
3. The Isles were outscored 1-0 in the third period and have been outscored 43-20 in the third period this season.
a few more...
4. Bill Guerin now has a three game point streak. His goal was #398 of his career, and the 11th of the season, tying Trent Hunter for the club lead.
5. It was the 1,200th loss in Isles history. The Isles have 1,233 wins.
6. Mike Sillinger's goal was his first since January 24 against Boston. He is 11 goals shy of 250. His goal came on the power play and was unusual -- neither Weight nor Streit was on the ice.
7. Freddy Meyer played in his 100th game as an Islander; it was his shot that Guerin tipped home for the Isles' first goal.
8. Joey MacDonald played in his 17th straight game--the Isles are 8-8-1 in that streak.
9. Trent Hunter had 4 shots and 5 hits for the Islanders. The Leafs' Pavel Kubina attempted five shots on goal -- all five were blocked by the Isles.
10. Up next: the Isles are in Philly Tuesday night for a Versus-exclusive telecast. (7pm; no pre-game). It's the fifth time that the Isles are playing on consecutive days. They are 4-0 on the back-end and have won six straight back-ends, going back to last season. They haven't had a longer back-end streak since winning seven back-ends in 1981-82. The club record is 9. The Isles however have lost six straight to Philadelphia (0-4-2) and have lost five straight in Philly (0-4-1).