1. Mark Streit had the Isles' goal. It was his 10th of the season -- 10th defenseman in the NHL to score 10 this season. It was also the 25th for the defense this season, equaling last season's total.
2. Nigel Dawes had the game's first goal-- and his first since he scored against the Isles on January 13.
3. Scott Gomez had the game-winning goal - -a goal that Yann Danis clearly would want back. It stopped an 0-23 pp drought for the Rangers.
...and a few more:
4. Chris Drury assisted on all three Ranger goals. He has eight points vs the Isles this season and 22 assists on the campaign.
5. Ex-Isle (at least on paper) Wade Redden has become so unpopular at MSG that he was booed for earning an assist on Fred Sjostrom's empty-netter.
6. The Rangers lead the season series 4 games to 1, with the final matcheup on March 5 at the Coliseum.
7. The Isles failed on 4 pp's and are 0-14 this season, and 0-24 overall on the pp against the Rangers.
8. A feisty night for Andy Hilbert: 2 penalties and 7 shots on goal. In addition to the winning goal, Scott Gomez had 6 shots on goal, and won 12 of 14 face-offs.
9. The Isles are 0-5-0 in their last five on the road and 1-18-1 in their last 20 on the road. the Isles have only 14 points on the season, fewest thru 30 games since 1988-89, when they had only 12.
10. Looking ahead: The Isles host Carolina on Thursday night. It's only the 2nd meeting of the season between the clubs and the first time they've played Carolina since the Canes fired Peter Laviolette. Carolina beat the Isles 4-3 back on October 25th; the Isles took a club record 60 shots that night; Doug Weight was stopped on a penalty shot with 0.7 seconds to play; Rick DiPietro left injured after 20 minutes.
Forever1940 is the nom de plume of Eric Hornick, statistician on Islander home telecasts since 1982.
Post a Comment