1. Isles secured first overall spot by winning the draft lottery, moved up to 26th in first round with Shark loss and moved from 4th round into 3rd round with Pens win. The Isles now has 7 picks in the first three rounds (plus the first pick in the 4th round).
2. Leading 3-games to 2, the Devils fail to close out the Canes in Carolina. After rallying from an early deficit, the Devils lead Game 7 3-2 with less than 1:30 of third. They blow game...and series... in regulation, no less.
3. The Rangers started their series with the Caps the same way they started the season...jumping out to an early advantage by winning 3 of the first 4 games. Their pest gets suspended for game 5 and their coach gets banished for game 6, both Capitals win. The Rangers scored first in Game 7 but couldn't score again...Sergei Federov dooms the Rangers to a non-championship year for the 68th time in 69 years.
...and a few more...from someone who doesn't know much.
4. I like the Caps over the Penguins in the Ovechkin/Crosby matchup, with a date with the Bruins to follow.
5. How about an old-fashioned Detroit-Chicago series in the West finals? Could happen, but I think you're more likely to get Vancouver-Detroit.
6. I'll take the Caps out of the East and the Wings out of the West.
7. Invite the President to the finals...but not the parade. The Wings reign supreme, again.
8. Of course, I could completely change my mind after the next round (which was a good idea after this round since I picked the Sharks to win the Cup!)
Forever1940 is the nom de plume of Eric Hornick, statistician on Islander home telecasts since 1982.