In Philadelphia, a Shayne Gostisbehere steal set up Claude Giroux for the Flyers' OT win over Winnipeg while in Detroit, the Red Wings survived a late Sabre rally for a 3-2 win.
Elsewhere, the Caps clinched the President's Trophy with their win over Columbus. They did it before any other Eastern Team clinched a playoff spot.
(Through games of March 28)
Best They Can Do (By Winning Every Game in Regulation or Overtime)
- NY Rangers 107 points/ 46 ROW
- Pittsburgh 106 points/ 46 ROW
- ISLES 105 points/ 44 ROW
- Philadelphia 101 points/ 42 ROW
- Boston 100 points/42 ROW
- Detroit 99 points/42 ROW
- Washington: 3/30 @ Philadelphia, 4/1 @ Colorado, 4/2 @ Arizona, 4/5 vs. ISLES, 4/7 vs. Pittsburgh, 4/9 at St. Louis, 4/10 vs. Anaheim
- NY Rangers: 3/31 @ Carolina, 4/2 vs. Buffalo, 4/4 @ Columbus, 4/5 vs. Tampa Bay, 4/7 vs. ISLES, 4/9 vs. Detroit
- Pittsburgh: 3/29 vs. Buffalo, 3/31 vs. Nashville,4/2 @ISLES, 4/3 vs. Philadelphia, 4/5 @ Ottawa, 4/7 @ Washington, 4/9 @ Philadelphia
- ISLES: 3/29 vs. Carolina, 3/31 vs. Columbus, 4/2 vs. Pittsburgh, 4/4 vs. Tampa Bay, 4/5 @ Washington, 4/7 @ NY Rangers, 4/9 vs. Buffalo, 4/10 vs. Philadelphia
- Philadelphia: 3/30 vs. Washington, 4/2 vs. Ottawa, 4/3 @ Pittsburgh, 4/6 at Detroit, 4/7 vs. Toronto, 4/9 vs Pittsburgh, 4/10 @ ISLES
- Boston 3/29 @ New Jersey, 4/1 @ St. Louis, 4/3 @ Chicago, 4/5 vs. Carolina, 4/7 vs. Detroit, 4/9 vs Ottawa
- Detroit: 3/29 @ Montreal, 4/1 vs. Minnesota, 4/2 @ Toronto, 4/6 vs. Philadelphia, 4/7 at Boston, 4/9 @ NY Rangers
- If the Isles go 5-2-1 they will clinch a playoff spot regardless of what everyone else does.
- If the Isles win their last 8 they will finish no lower than 3rd regardless of what everyone else does.
The Isles need to finish ahead of eight teams to clinch a playoff berth. Assuming the Isles finish ahead of teams currently in 10th to 16th place, the Isles also need to finish ahead of Philadelphia, Boston, Detroit, the Rangers OR Pittsburgh in order to clinch a playoff berth.
Magic numbers vs. other teams to clinch playoff berth: New Jersey (4), Carolina (5)
- 7, if the Isles win and the Red Wings lose in regulation
- 8, if the Isles win and the Red Wings lose in overtime or a shootout