- The magic number started the night at 11.
- When the Isles game reached overtime, it dropped to 10.
- As overtime was ending, so was the Bruins' regulation loss to New Jersey, pushing the number to 9.
- Kyle Okposo's shootout goal pushed it further, to 8.
- When Montreal closed out their win over the Red Wings, the number fell for the 4th time, to 7.
Elsewhere, the Penguins also won in a shootout, rallying from a deficit to defeat Buffalo 5-4.
(Through games of March 29)
Best They Can Do (By Winning Every Game in Regulation or Overtime)
- NY Rangers 107 points/ 46 ROW
- Pittsburgh 106 points/ 45 ROW
- ISLES 105 points/ 43 ROW
- Philadelphia 101 points/ 42 ROW
- Boston 98 points/41 ROW
- Detroit 97 points/41 ROW
- Washington: 3/30 @ Philadelphia, 4/1 @ Colorado, 4/2 @ Arizona, 4/5 vs. ISLES, 4/7 vs. Pittsburgh, 4/9 at St. Louis, 4/10 vs. Anaheim
- NY Rangers: 3/31 @ Carolina, 4/2 vs. Buffalo, 4/4 @ Columbus, 4/5 vs. Tampa Bay, 4/7 vs. ISLES, 4/9 vs. Detroit
- Pittsburgh: 3/31 vs. Nashville,4/2 @ISLES, 4/3 vs. Philadelphia, 4/5 @ Ottawa, 4/7 @ Washington, 4/9 @ Philadelphia
- ISLES: 3/31 vs. Columbus, 4/2 vs. Pittsburgh, 4/4 vs. Tampa Bay, 4/5 @ Washington, 4/7 @ NY Rangers, 4/9 vs. Buffalo, 4/10 vs. Philadelphia
- Philadelphia: 3/30 vs. Washington, 4/2 vs. Ottawa, 4/3 @ Pittsburgh, 4/6 at Detroit, 4/7 vs. Toronto, 4/9 vs Pittsburgh, 4/10 @ ISLES
- Boston 4/1 @ St. Louis, 4/3 @ Chicago, 4/5 vs. Carolina, 4/7 vs. Detroit, 4/9 vs Ottawa
- Detroit: 4/1 vs. Minnesota, 4/2 @ Toronto, 4/6 vs. Philadelphia, 4/7 at Boston, 4/9 @ NY Rangers
- If the Isles go 3-3-1 they will clinch a playoff spot regardless of what everyone else does.
- If the Isles win their last 7 they will finish no lower than 3rd regardless of what everyone else does.
The Isles need to finish ahead of eight teams to clinch a playoff berth. Assuming the Isles finish ahead of teams currently in 10th to 16th place, the Isles also need to finish ahead of Philadelphia, Boston, Detroit, the Rangers OR Pittsburgh in order to clinch a playoff berth.
Magic numbers vs. other teams to clinch playoff berth: New Jersey (2), Carolina (2)
- 5, if the Isles win
- 6, if the Isles lose in overtime or a shootout