Monday, November 15, 2021
The Skinny: Tampa Bay 4, Isles 1
By Eric Hornick
Tampa Bay 4, Isles 1
Andrei Vasilevskiy made 25 saves as the Tampa Bay Lightning extended the Islander losing streak to three games with a 4-1 victory over the Isles before a sell-out crowd of 19,092 at AMALIE Arena in Tampa.
Semyon Varlomov made 24 saves but suffered the loss for the second time in as many starts.
The Isles head to Sunrise to complete this 13-game road trip as they face the Panthers on Tuesday.
Mathew Barzal (4) Zach Parise (3) 02:53 NYI 1,TBL 0
Mathieu Joseph (2) Alex Killorn (7) 03:16 NYI 1,TBL 1
Anthony Cirelli (4) Ondrej Palat (6), Victor Hedman (10) 19:22 NYI 1,TBL 2
Brayden Point (6) 13:28 NYI 1,TBL 3
Steven Stamkos (8) Victor Hedman (11), Brayden Point (6) 15:30 NYI 1,TBL 4 PPG
The Isles scored first for the tenth time in their first twelve games; last season the Isles scored first in 27 of their 56 games… The Isles have been outscored 12-1 since Anders Lee's second period tally in Minnesota…Mathew Barzal's goal was the first for the Isles in 90:49…Zdeno Chara fought Pat Maroon for the fifth time in their careers when they squared off on the opening face-off….With a misconduct later in the game, Chara became the oldest player to have at least 17 penalty minutes in an NHL game…The Isles did not score on three power plays and are 0-11 in the last five games with the extra man… Sebastian Aho played in his first game since March 18th and led the Isles in ice-time (23:18)…Corey Perry played in his 1,108th NHL game – breaking a tie with (among others) Butch Goring…The Bolts are 6-0-2 in their last eight games.
First Times in a Long Time
• The last time the Isles had two fights in a game was on February 15, 2020, in Las Vegas.
• Brock Nelson has been in only one previous fight - in 2018 against his now-teammate Andy Greene.
This was a quadruple-milestone game:
• Isles played 3,800th regular season game in club history
• Andy Greene become the 9th player to appear in his 1,000th game while playing for the Isles
• Jean-Gabriel Pageau played in his 500th NHL game
• Ryan Pulock played in his 263rd consecutive game, breaking Denis Potvin's club record for defensemen
The Long Road (to the New) Home
The Isles are 5-5-2 on their franchise-record 13-game road trip:
• Thu Oct 14 at Carolina L 3-6
• Sat Oct 16 at Florida L 1-5
• Tue Oct 19 at Chicago W 4-1
• Thu Oct 21 at Columbus L 3-2 (ot)
• Sat Oct 23 at Arizona W 3-0
• Sun Oct 24 at Vegas W 2-0
• Sat Oct 30 at Nashville L 3-2 (so)
• Thu Nov 04 at Montréal W 6-2
• Sat Nov 06 at Winnipeg W 2-0
• Sun Nov 07 at Minnesota L 2-5
• Thu Nov 11 at New Jersey L 0-4
• Mon Nov 15 at Tampa Bay L 1-4
• Tue Nov 16 at Florida 7:00 PM
Staying Close to Home
The Isles will not leave the Eastern Time Zone until January 4th in Seattle.
Ilya Sorokin is 5-1-2 in the last eight games, allowing only twelve goals on 259 shots. He has not allowed a goal in sixteen of his last 24 periods; he has entered the third period with a shutout in five of those seven games.
Zdeno Chara played in his 1,620th game. Chara is now 3rd among defensemen in games played:
• Chris Chelios 1,651
• Scott Stevens 1,635
• Zdeno Chara 1,620
Chelios is 8th among all players in games played, Stevens is 10th and Chara is 11th.
Home and Road
The Isles are 5-5-2 overall; they are 0-0-0 at home and 5-5-2 on the road.
Tampa Bay is 8-3-3 overall; they are 4-2-2 at home and 4-1-1 on the road.
Leader of the Pack
Barry Trotz has coached more games and recorded more victories than any other active coach. Trotz' NHL record is 882-640-60-160 in 1,742 games.
Most Coaching Wins
1. Scotty Bowman 1,244
2. Joel Quenneville 969
3. Barry Trotz 882
Most Games Coached
1. Scotty Bowman 2,141
2. Joel Quenneville 1,768
3. Barry Trotz 1,742
Lou Lamoriello has the second-highest win total for any general manager in NHL history:
1. David Poile 1,455
2. Lou Lamoriello 1,331
3. Glen Sather 1,319
It All Starts at the Top
Lou Lamoriello and Barry Trotz have 2,213 wins between them. They start each game with more than any other pair in NHL history (David Poile and Peter Laviolette had 2,036 after their last game together). Bill Torrey and Al Arbour had a then-record 1,462 at the end of the 1991-92 season, which was their last season together.
First Things First
The Isles are 5-3-2 when scoring first and are 0-2-0 when allowing the opening goal.
Tampa Bay 13-3-12=28
The Isles are 1-2-2 when they outshoot their opponents, 0-0-0 when the shots are even and 4-3-0 when they are outshot. Under Barry Trotz, the Isles are 68-39-13 when outshot.
In the Nets
Semyon Varlamov made 24 saves but falls to 0-2-0 on the season and 10-8-2 vs. Tampa Bay.
Andrei Vasilevskiy made 25 saves and improves to 7-2-3 on the season and 8-4-0 vs. the Isles.
The Isles were 0-3 on the power play (6:00); Tampa Bay was 1-4 on the power play (6:51).
The Isles are 1-1-1 when they score at least one power play goal and 4-4-1 when they do not. The Isles are 1-3-1 when they allow at least one power play goal and 4-2-1 when they do not.
Three is a Magic Number
The Isles are 3-1-0 when they score at least three goals (including shootout winners) and are 2-4-2 when they do not. Under Barry Trotz, the Isles are 92-10-11 when scoring three or more.
The Isles are 0-0-2 in games decided by a single goal including 0-0 in regulation. They are 0-1 in games decided in overtime and are 0-1 in shootouts. The Isles are 0-1 in games in which an empty-net goal turns a 1-goal game into a 2-goal game.
Including tonight, the Isles are 2-1-0 in the front end and 1-1-0 in the back end. This back-to-back will conclude Tuesday in Florida. The next back-to-back will be November 20th vs. Calgary and November 21st in Toronto.
Under Barry Trotz, the Isles are 22-5-4 (.774) in back-ends. This is by far the best record of any NHL team in back-ends during this stretch. Tampa Bay has the next best record: 21-9-3 (.682).
The Isles are 0-0-1 in matinees this season; the next matinee will be on December 19th against Vegas. The Isles will play a total of fourteen matinees this season, after playing only two in the shortened campaign last year.
Isles: Sebastian Aho (23:18); Tampa Bay: Mikhail Sergachev (22:56)
Jean-Gabriel Pageau led Isles forwards with 21:28 of ice-time.
Isles record by ice-time leaders: Ryan Pulock (2-1-1), Anthony Beauvillier (0-1-0), Mathew Barzal (0-0-1), Adam Pelech (2-1-0), Zdeno Chara (1-1-0), Sebastian Aho (0-1-0)
Isles 30, Tampa Bay 24 (56%)
Brock Nelson and Mathew Barzal each won 6 of 9 for the Isles; No Lightning who took multiple face-offs won more than he lost.
The Isles are 2-4-0 when they win more face-offs than the opposition, 0-0-1 when face-offs are even, and 3-1-1 when they win fewer.
Isles 41 (Matt Martin -7)
Tampa Bay 41 (Eric Colton -5)
Zdeno Chara fought Pat Maroon in the first period; Brock Nelson fought Anthony Cirelli in the second period. Season total: 5 (Martin-2, Mayfield 1, Chara 1, Nelson 1)
Isles 11 (Andy Greene - 4)
Tampa Bay 12 (Three with 2)
For the Analytics Crowd
Corsi: All situations: Isles 48, Tampa Bay 52
Corsi: 5-on-5: Isles 40, Tampa Bay 40
Isles: Zdeno Chara +5
Tampa Bay: Ondrej Palat +6
High Danger Scoring Chances (per Natural Stat Trick)
All situations: Isles 10, Tampa Bay 14
5-on-5: Isles 8, Tampa Bay 11
Noah Dobson, Ross Johnston, (Casey Cizikas)
Games Lost: 11
Iron Man Club
Brock Nelson has played in 313 consecutive games and Ryan Pulock in 263; both have appeared in every game since Barry Trotz became the Isles' coach.
Brock Nelson has the 2nd-longest streak in club history while Ryan Pulock passed Denis Potvin for 7th:
1. Billy Harris 10/7/1972 -11/30/1979 576 (*)
2. Brock Nelson 3/16/2017 – CURRENT 313
3. Bobby Nystrom 1/7/1975 - 11/25/1978 301
4. Anders Lee 1/26/2017 – 3/13/2021 295
5. Mathew Barzal 10/6/2017- 5/3/2021 284
Matt Moulson 10/3/2009 - 4/4/2013 284
7. Ryan Pulock 12/29/2017 – CURRENT 263
8. Denis Potvin 11/29/1975 - 1/17/1979 262
9. John Tavares 10/16/2010 - 12/23/2013 246
10. J.P. Parise 1/7/1975 – 1/7/1978 240 (**)
(*) Start of NHL career.
(**) Entire career with Islanders
Isles: 0 successful, 1 failure
The Isles are 0-0-0 in games that they are successful and 0-1-0 in games that they are unsuccessful.(no goalie interference 10/14 @CAR)
Opponents: 2 successful, 0 failures
The Isles are 1-1-0 in games where opponents' challenges go their way and 0-0-0 in games where challenges go the Isles' way. (goalie interference 10/16 @FLA and 10/23 @ARI)
Last Minute Heroes:
The Isles have scored no goals and allowed no goals in the final three minutes of the third period that were either the winning goal or forced overtime:
All-time Islander Leader Boards:
Games Played (skaters)
1. Bryan Trottier 1,123 *** 2. Denis Potvin 1,060 *** 3. Josh Bailey 931…
11. Derek King 638 *** 12. Matt Martin 624 *** 13. Billy Harris 623 *** 14. Stefan Persson 622 *** 15. Brock Nelson 616 *** 16. Frans Nielsen 606 *** 17. Casey Cizikas 601 …
23. Lorne Henning 543 *** 24. Cal Clutterbuck 540 ***Claude Lapointe 535 *** 26. Kenny Jonsson 532 *** 27. Anders Lee 531
1. Mike Bossy 573 *** 2. Bryan Trottier 500 *** 3. Denis Potvin 310 …
11. John Tonelli 206 *** 12. Anders Lee 188 *** 13. Billy Harris 184 *** 14. Brock Nelson 175 *** 15. Ziggy Palffy 168 *** 16. Josh Bailey 163
1. Bryan Trottier 853 *** 2. Denis Potvin 742 *** 3. Mike Bossy 553 *** 4. Clark Gillies 359 *** 5. Josh Bailey 354…
20. Pierre Turgeon 193 *** 21. Ed Westfall 181 *** 22. Mathew Barzal 180…
26. Jean Potvin 167 *** 27. Jeff Norton 166 *** 28. Ziggy Palffy 163 *** 29. Brock Nelson 162
1. Bryan Trottier 1,353 *** 2. Mike Bossy 1,126 *** 3. Denis Potvin 1,052…
9. Bob Bourne 542 *** 10. Josh Bailey 517 …
17. Frans Nielsen 349 *** 18. Pierre Turgeon 340 *** 19 Brock Nelson 337 *** 20. Tomas Jonsson 333 *** 21. Ziggy Palffy 331 *** 22. Anders Lee 324…
26. Ed Westfall 286 *** 27. Mathew Barzal 260
1. Al Arbour 1,500 *** 2. Jack Capuano 483 *** 3. Barry Trotz 218
1. Al Arbour 740 *** 2. Jack Capuano 227 *** 3. Barry Trotz 120
On the Farm
Bridgeport dropped a pair of games over the weekend, losing 5-4 in overtime to Laval on Friday and 3-2 in regulation to Belleville on Saturday. The AHL Islanders are 5-6-1-2. Chris Terry leads the team in goals with six, while Otto Koivula leads in assists (10) and points (12).
Bridgeport plays at Hartford on Wednesday and Springfield on Friday before hosting the Thunderbirds on Saturday.
Season Series Stats
Tampa Bay leads the season series 1 game to 0 (and 2 points to 0). The teams will meet at UBS Arena on March 27th and April 28th.
While the teams had played 13 playoff games in the interim, this was the first regular season meeting of the teams since February 8, 2020 (also in Tampa Bay). The Isles fall to 3-2-1 in their last six regular season games vs. the Bolts.
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 16th –ISLANDERS AT FLORIDA 7:00pm
[ESPN+/HULU, WRHU 88.7 FM, WRCN 103.9FM, ESPN Radio]
The franchise-record 13-game road trip comes to an end as the Isles cross to the East Coast of the state and play the Florida Panthers for the second time this season.
The Panthers defeated the Islanders 5-1 back on October 16th; this is the final game that the Isles will play in the state of Florida during the regular season.
Despite that defeat, the Isles are 4-1-0 in their last five regular season games against the Cats.
This game will be streamed exclusively by ESPN+/Hulu. Bob Wischusen, Brian Boucher and AJ Mleczko will have the call.
Eric Hornick has been the statistician on Islander home game telecasts since January 21, 1982. Information contained in "The Skinny" has been gathered from various sources. Follow Eric @ehornick on Twitter & on his blog www.nyiskinny.com
Forever1940 is the nom de plume of Eric Hornick, statistician on Islander home telecasts since January 21, 1982. Visit my blog: NYISkinny.com and follow me on Twitter @ehornick