Friday, April 29, 2022
The Skinny: Isles 5, Washington 1
By Eric Hornick
Isles 5, Washington 1
Brock Nelson, Anders Lee and Kyle Palmieri all scored power play goals and Semyon Varlamov made 26 saves as the Islanders completed a sweep of the home-and-home series with a 5-1 win over the Washington Capitals before a crowd of 16,722 at UBS Arena.
Kyle Palmieri's goal, his 200th in the NHL, was part of a three-goal third period for the second straight game for the Isles and Jean-Gabriel Pageau and Josh Bailey also scored in the frame. Mathew Barzal had three assists to close within one point of Brock Nelson in the team scoring race while Noah Dobson reached the 50-point mark with a pair of power play helpers. Axel Jonsson-Fjallby spoiled Varlamov's shutout in the final minute.
The win guarantees the Islanders an above NHL-.500 record for the 4th straight year; it is the second-longest streak in club history (14 years from 1974-75 to 1987-88).
Brock Nelson (37) Mathew Barzal (41), Noah Dobson (36) 10:48 WSH 0,NYI 1 PPG
Anders Lee (28) Mathew Barzal (42), Noah Dobson (37) 15:34 WSH 0,NYI 2 PPG
Jean-Gabriel Pageau (17) 03:44 WSH 0,NYI 3
Kyle Palmieri (15) Josh Bailey (30), Robin Salo (4) 06:23 WSH 0,NYI 4 PPG
Josh Bailey (13) Mathew Barzal (43) 13:37 WSH 0,NYI 5
Axel Jonsson-Fjallby (2) Anthony Mantha (14), Martin Fehervary (9) 19:18 WSH 1,NYI 5
The Isles are 16-10-2 in their last 28 games…The Isles outscored Washington 9-2 in the home-and-home, scoring nine consecutive goals…The Isles scored on both of their power plays Tuesday and on their first two attempts tonight; they went 5-7 in the two games and both failures were shortened power plays due to both teams taking penalties at different times…Kyle Palmieri is the 77th active player with 200 career goals (including five current Islanders)…Mathew Barzal, making a late run to win the Islander scoring championship for the fifth straight year, had three assists in a game for the first time since February 11, 2020; it's the seventh time in his career he has had at least three assists…Josh Bailey had an assist for the third straight game to reach 30 assists for the 6th time in his career…Brock Nelson has 11 power play goals this season, most of any Islander in the Trotz era…Both of Axel Jonsson-Fjallby's NHL goals have been scored against Semyon Varlamov.
Both Ryan Pulock and Ross Johnston did not play due to non-Covid illness.
First Times in a Long Time
• The Isles scored three power play goals for the first time in the Barry Trotz era. They last did so on March 22, 2018, in a 7-6 loss to Tampa Bay.
• The Isles scored five power play goals in a two-game period for the first time since March 15-18, 2018 (vs. Washington and Carolina)
• The Isles scored five power play goals over consecutive games against the same opponent for the first time since December 2-4, 1980, vs. the Colorado Rockies; the only other time was on March 13-15, 1979 (6 goals) vs Boston.
• The Isles scored two power play goals in the first period for the first time since January 21, 2020 (Bailey and Beauvillier at MSG). It's the first time they have done so at home since March 29, 2015, at the Coliseum against Detroit (Nelson and Okposo).
• Noah Dobson is the first Islander defenseman to reach 50 points since Mark Streit (2008-09) and the first to do so before turning age 23 since Denis Potvin (three times).
You'll Only Find This in The Skinny!
The Isles had 26 shots on goal for the third consecutive game, matching the club record for having the exact same shot total. It has been done eight previous times, most recently in 2016. This is the second time that the Isles have 26 shots on goal in three consecutive games, having also done so in December 1989.
Andres Lee played in his 595th game, passing John Tonelli for 20th in club history and then scored his 212th goal, passing Derek King for 10th in club history. All three players wear/wore #27.
Playing the Big Boys
The Isles will end their home season by facing five consecutive opponents who had at least 100 points when they faced them. It is only the second time in NHL history that has happened – Montreal did this in 1971-72. The Isles are 1-2-1 in the first four of these games.
Isles Team Leaders
Goals: Nelson 37, Lee 28, Pageau 17
Assists: Barzal 43, Dobson 37, Bailey 30
Points: Nelson 59, Barzal 58, Dobson 50
• Nelson will lead the Isles in goals for the third straight season, after Lee did so in the prior three seasons.
• Barzal will lead the team in assists for the fourth time in five seasons (Nick Leddy did so last year)
• Nelson is looking to end Barzal's 4-year run as the club point leader; Mike Bossy is the only Islander to lead the team in scoring in at least five straight seasons.
• Dobson has 50 points; it is the first time an Islander defenseman has had 50 points since 2008-09 when Mark Streit had 56. Dobson is also the first Islander defenseman in 13 years to score at least 13 goals.
Most Points by an Islander Defenseman, Age 22 or Younger
1. Denis Potvin 98 (1975-76)
2. Denis Potvin 76 (1974-75)
3. Denis Potvin 54 (1973-74)
4. Noah Dobson 50 (2021-22)
5. Bryan Berard 48 (1996-97)
Tomas Jonsson 48 (1982-83)
The 50 Point Club- Islander Defenseman (Since 1992-93)
1. Vladimir Malakhov 57 (1993-94)
2. Mark Streit 56 (2008-09)
3. Vladimir Malakhov 52 (1993-94)
4. Noah Dobson 50 (2021-22)
Jeff Norton 50 (1992-93)
Home is Where The Sorokin Is
Ilya Sorokin is 13-4-4 at UBS Arena, with a 2.01 GAA and a .933 save percentage.
Since February 1st, he has been even better, going 7-1-2 in ten home starts (1.93 GAA, .942 save percentage).
Best Save Percentage, Season (Isles History)
1. Robin Lehner .930 (2018-19)
2. Semyon Varlamov .929 (2020-21)
3. Chico Resch .928 (1975-76)
4. Ilya Sorokin .927 (2021-22)
Thomas Greiss .927 (2018-19)
Best Save Percentage, This Season (NHL)
1. Igor Shesterkin .935
2. Ilya Sorokin .927
PK is More Than Okay
The Isles killed all six Capital power plays (10-10 in the home-and-home); they have killed 50 of 56 (89.3%) over their last seventeen games and 89 of 101 in the last 31 games (88.9%). At home the Isles have killed 47 of 53 (88.7%) since the beginning of February.
And How About That Home PP?
The Isles went 3 for 5 on the power play. Since the beginning of February, the Isles home PP has converted at a 36.7% rate (18-49), which is the best in the NHL in that stretch. On the season, the Isles home power play is now at 26.9%, which is the best in any season since 1984-85 (and is 3rd in the NHL this season behind Toronto and Florida).
Zach Parise has 408 career goals, tying him for 95th place all-time with Patrik Elias and Ray Ferraro and, passing Marian Gaborik. Ray Bourque has 410 goals and sits 94th.
All-Star Break Splits
The Islander offense has improved significantly since the All-Star break. The Isles scored 92 goals in 39 games before the break (2.4/gm) and have scored 133 in 42 games since the break (3.2/gm).
Before: 80-106-186 in 39 games (4.8/gm)
After: 114-139-253 in 42 games (6.0/gm)
Before: 12-47-59 in 39 games (1.5/gm)
After: 19-79-98 in 42 games (2.3/gm)
Most Career Goals by an Islander Wearing #27
• Anders Lee 212
• Derek King 211
• John Tonelli 206
Most Shutouts In a Season
• 7 Ilya Sorokin 2021-22
• 7 Semyon Varlamov 2020-21 (56-game season)
• 7 Chico Resch 1975-76
• 6 Robin Lehner 2018-19
• 6 Jaroslav Halak 2014-15
Home and Road
The Isles are 37-34-10 overall; they are 20-15-5 at home and 17-19-5 on the road.
Washington is 44-25-12 overall; they are 19-6-6 at home and 25-9-6 on the road.
Home is Where the Fans Are
The Isles have played 40 home games and recorded 29 sellouts. The sellout crowds of 17,255 are the largest indoor crowds to ever see the Islanders play at home.
Leader of the Pack
Barry Trotz has coached more games and recorded more victories than any other active coach. Trotz' NHL record is 914-670-60-167 in 1,811 games.
Most Coaching Wins
1. Scotty Bowman 1,244
2. Joel Quenneville 970
3. Barry Trotz 914
Most Games Coached
1. Scotty Bowman 2,141
2. Barry Trotz 1,811
3. Joel Quenneville 1,768
Lou Lamoriello has the second-highest win total for any general manager in NHL history:
1. David Poile 1,491
2. Lou Lamoriello 1,363
3. Glen Sather 1,319
It All Starts at the Top
Lou Lamoriello and Barry Trotz have 2,277 wins between them. They start each game with more than any other pair in NHL history (David Poile and Peter Laviolette had 2,036 after their last game together). Bill Torrey and Al Arbour had a then-record 1,462 at the end of the 1991-92 season, which was their last season together.
First Things First
The Isles are 29-9-6 when scoring first and are 8-25-4 when allowing the opening goal.
The Isles are 12-8-4 when they outshoot their opponents, 1-2-1 when the shots are even and 24-24-5 when they are outshot. Under Barry Trotz, the Isles are 90-60-18 when outshot.
In the Nets
Semyon Varlamov made 26 saves; he is 10-17-2 on the season and 7-10-3 vs Washington.
Vitek Vanecek made 22 saves; he is 20-12-6 on the season and 5-2-0 vs. the Isles.
The Isles were 3-5 on the power play (4:29); Washington was 0-6 on the power play (8:09).
The Isles are 20-11-6 when they score at least one power play goal and 17-23-4 when they do not. The Isles are 7-16-5 when they allow at least one power play goal and 30-18-5 when they do not.
Three is a Magic Number
The Isles are 32-11-4 when they score at least three goals (including shootout winners) and are 5-23-6 when they do not. Under Barry Trotz, the Isles are 119-20-15 when scoring three or more.
The Isles are 11-9-10 in games decided by a single goal including 8-9 in regulation. They are 1-4 in games decided in overtime and are 2-6 in shootouts. The Isles are 1-8 in games in which an empty-net goal turns a 1-goal game into a 2-goal game (including one game the Isles scored after allowing an empty-netter).
Including tonight, the Isles are 10-7-1 in the front end and 6-10-1 in the back end.
Under Barry Trotz, the Isles are 27-14-5 in back-ends.
The Isles went 4-6-3 in matinees this season.
Isles: Noah Dobson (22:32); Washington: John Carlson (24:55)
Jean-Gabriel Pageau led Isles forwards with 20:05 of ice-time.
Isles record by ice-time leaders: Adam Pelech (12-5-4), Noah Dobson (10-12-3), Ryan Pulock (7-6-2), Anthony Beauvillier (0-1-0), Mathew Barzal (1-1-1), Zdeno Chara (2-1-0), Sebastian Aho (0-1-0), Robin Salo (0-2-0), Scott Mayfield (0-3-0), Jean-Gabriel Pageau (0-2-0).
Isles 37, Washington 19 (66%)
Casey Cizikas won 10 of 14 for the Isles; TJ Oshie won 3 of 5 for Washington.
Isles 13 (Three with 2)
Washington 22 (Two with 3)
There were no fights. Season total: 22 (Martin 6, Chara 5, Johnston 4, Pageau 2, Mayfield 2, Wahlstrom 2, Bellows 1, Nelson 1, Palmieri 1)
Isles 9 (Josh Bailey -3)
Washington 11 (Tom Wilson -3)
For the Analytics Crowd
Corsi: All situations: Isles 41, Washington 54
Corsi: 5-on-5: Isles 31, Washington 40
Isles: Kieffer Bellows +1
Washington: Three with +8
High Danger Scoring Chances (per Natural Stat Trick)
All situations: Isles 8, Washington 11
5-on-5: Isles 6, Washington 9
(Cal Clutterbuck-INJ), (Scott Mayfield-INJ), (Ross Johnston -ILL), (Ryan Pulock-ILL)
Games Lost: 191 (139 to injuries and 52 to COVID protocol)
Zach Parise is the only Islander to have played in every game this season.
Isles: 3 successful, 2 failures
Isles are 2-0-1 in games that they are successful (offside 1/18 @PHI, no goalie interference 2/22 @SEA, offside 3/15 @ WSH) and 0-2-0 in games that they are unsuccessful (no goalie interference 10/14 @CAR, no goalie interference 4/5 @DAL)
Opponents: 6 successful, 1 failure
The Isles are 3-2-1 in games where opponents' challenges go their way (goalie interference 10/16 @FLA and 10/23 @ARI; offside 12/19 vs VGK, goalie interference 3/5 vs STL, goalie interference 3/27 vs TB, goalie interference 4/26 vs WSH) and 0-0-1 in games where challenges go the Isles' way (goalie interference 3/15 vs WSH)
Last Minute Heroes:
The Isles have scored five goals and allowed two goals in the final three minutes of the third period that were either the winning goal or forced overtime:
For: 5 (Noah Dobson 19:56 – 12/5/21 vs CHI; Isles lost in SO) (Brock Nelson 17:03 – 2/20/22 vs OTT; Isles lost in SO), (Anders Lee 18:01 – 3/15/22 @ WSH; Isles lost in SO), (Kyle Palmieri 17:16 – 3/17/22 vs. NYR -GWG), (Kyle Palmieri 19:45 – 4/8/22 @ CAR – GWG)
Vs: 2 (Eeli Tolvanen 19:48 – 12/9/21 vs NSH-GWG), (Shea Theodore 19:12 – 12/19/21 vs VGK; Isles lost in SO)
The Isles allowed a tying goal to CAR on 4/8/22 but scored the winner in the final seconds.
All-time Islander Leader Boards:
Games Played (skaters)
1. Bryan Trottier 1,123 *** 2. Denis Potvin 1,060 *** 3. Josh Bailey 992…
9. Brent Sutter 694 *** 10. Matt Martin 684 *** 11. Brock Nelson 675 *** 12. John Tavares 669 *** 13. Casey Cizikas 662 …
18. Kenny Jonsson 597 *** 19. Garry Howatt 596 *** 20. Anders Lee 595 *** John Tonelli 594 *** 22. Cal Clutterbuck 587
1. Mike Bossy 573 *** 2. Bryan Trottier 500 *** 3. Denis Potvin 310 …
9. Bobby Nystrom 235 *** 10. Anders Lee 212 *** 11. Derek King 211 *** 12. John Tonelli 206 *** 13. Brock Nelson 205 *** 14 Billy Harris 184 *** 15. Josh Bailey 175
1. Bryan Trottier 853 *** 2. Denis Potvin 742 *** 3. Mike Bossy 553 *** 4. Josh Bailey 379…
17. Frans Nielsen and Kyle Okposo 230 *** 19. Mathew Barzal 220 *** 20. Nick Leddy 198 *** 21. Pierre Turgeon 193 *** 22. Brock Nelson 182
1. Bryan Trottier 1,353 *** 2. Mike Bossy 1,126 *** 3. Denis Potvin 1,052…
7. Pat LaFontaine 566 *** 8. Josh Bailey 554 *** 9. John Tonelli 544 *** 10. Bob Bourne 542 …
14. Billy Harris 443 *** 15. Brock Nelson 387 *** 16. Kyle Okposo and Stefan Persson 369 *** 18. Anders Lee 365…
22. Ziggy Palffy 331 *** 23. Mathew Barzal 310
1. Bryan Trottier +467 *** 2. Denis Potvin +456 *** 3. Mike Bossy +380…
19. JP Parise +67 *** 20. Adam Pelech +62 *** 21. Jude Drouin +58 *** 22. Patrick Flatley +57 *** 23. Greg Gilbert +54 *** 24. Gord Lane +48
1. Al Arbour 1,500 *** 2. Jack Capuano 483 *** 3. Barry Trotz 287
1. Al Arbour 740 *** 2. Jack Capuano 227 *** 3. Barry Trotz 152
On the Farm
Bridgeport is headed to the Calder Cup Playoffs! The Isles went 10-5-2-0 in their last seventeen games and finished the regular season with a record of 31-30-7-4 .
Chris Terry led the team with 30 goals and 61 points while Otto Koivula had a team-leading 35 helpers. Jakub Skurek went 16-15-4 in goal on the season while Cory Schneider was 14-11-4.
Bridgeport is off for a week before beginning the playoffs. They are the 6th seed in their division and will face Providence in a best-of-3 first round series, beginning on Monday in Rhode Island.
Season Series Stats
The teams split the season series, 2 games to 2 (the Isles earned 5 points to Washington's 4).
The Isles are 4-6-2 in their last 12 games against the Caps, including 3-2-1 on home ice.
FRIDAY, APRIL 29th –TAMPA BAY AT ISLANDERS 7:30 PM
[MSG+2 (Pre-game at 7:00pm), WRHU 88.7 FM, WRCN 103.9FM, ESPN Radio]
For the third straight season, the Isles will end their season against Tampa Bay, only this time it will be in the regular season.
The Isles are 0-2-0 vs. Tampa Bay this season, losing both games by 4-1 scores.
The Isles are 25-14-9 in finales (including 2020); they are 3-0-2 in their last five finales and 4-1-4 in their last nine regular-season enders. This will be the first time that the Isles end the regular season by facing Tampa Bay.
Eric Hornick has been the statistician on Islander home game telecasts since January 21, 1982. Information contained in "The Skinny" has been gathered from various sources. Follow Eric @ehornick on Twitter & on his blog www.nyiskinny.com
Forever1940 is the nom de plume of Eric Hornick, statistician on Islander home telecasts since January 21, 1982. Visit my blog: NYISkinny.com and follow me on Twitter @ehornick