Get Your T-Shirts & Hoodies -- and support Make-A-Wish (R) Metro NY
THANK YOU 20,000 times for making my wish of helping @MakeaWish @MAWMNYcome true!!!!!!
Since October, I have been commemorating the last season of Islander hockey at the Coliseum with my daily #ItHappenedattheColiseum feature. Recently, I was approached by @Islesblog to participate in a project for charity based on the "It Happened" theme.
The result is these gorgeous T-shirts and hoodies:
and now they can be yours.
Please visit http://teespring.com/IslesBlogIHATC to order. Check out http://nyislesblog.com/articles/it-happened-at-the-coliseum-shirts-now-available for more on the campaign.
All proceeds benefit one of my favorite charities: Make-A-Wish® Metro New York.
Sunday, January 04, 2009
Stat Trick: San Jose 5, Isles 3
1. When contrasted with the Isles' third period problems, the Sharks have been nearly perfect-- 55-1-4 in the last season and a half when leading after 40. Their only loss came to the Isles on Presidents Day. (The Isles trailed 2-0 in that game before rallying for the win in the
third. Freddy Meyer had the winning goal
2. The Sharks have won 5 of the last six in NoCal between the teams. (The only Isles win in SJ since 2000 came on February 19 2003 -- a shutout for Garth Snow)
3. The Isles have now lost 12 straight on the road (0-11-1) --longest since 1972-73. That season the Isles lost 28 of 29, with a 9-7 win in Boston on January 18 1973 separating a 13 game road losing streak and a 15 game road losing streak.
...and a few more
4. Richard Park was in on all three Islanders goals (goal and 2 assists). He has six points on the seven goals scored by the Isles on this trip.
5. Tim Jackman got the Isles back in the game with a shorthanded goal. It's the Isles 9th SH goal of the season -- only Philadelphia (13) has more. It was the first shorty of Jackman's NHL career; he had 2 for Bridgeport last season. It was also his second goal of the season - a career high.
6. Thomas Pock got the Isles back to 4-3 with a sixth attacker goal. It was his first goal since March 31, 2007 (as a Ranger) and the 8th of his NHL career. The Isles have now scored five 6th attacker goals and allowed 1 in the last five games.
7. The Isles fall to 5-15-2 on the road. The 12 points in 22 games in the fewest since the 1995 lockout season, when they had 10 in the first 22 games and finished with 12 points in a 24-game road schedule.
8. Mike Grier had a pair of goals, Joe Thornton had two assists, and Jonathan Cheechoo had three assists for the Sharks, who improve to 19-0-2 at home.
9. Brendan Witt and Freddy Meyer were each -3. They are -6 and -7 respectively, in the last two games and -21 and -19 respectively on the season. Only Brad Boyes (-22) and Rod Brind'Amour (-26), both forwards, were worse than Witt.
10. Up next: the Isles play Monday in Edmonton (9:30 ET). The Isles were shutout by Mathieu Garon in Edmonton last season, ending a 6-game winning streak against the Oilers. Garon has never allowed a goal to the Isles, registering 43 saves in 80 minutes. The Isles will be looking for their first goal in Edmonton since Jason Blake hit the empty-net at 19:40 of the third period on March 13, 2003 (the Isles' previous visit to Edmonton).
Forever1940 is the nom de plume of Eric Hornick. Eric has worked the Stanley Cup Finals four times, and celebrated his 26th anniversary as the statistician on Islander home telecasts on January 21, 2008.