"The Skinny" By Eric Hornick Semi-Finals Game 7 Tampa Bay 1, Isles 0 Tampa Bay wins best-of-7 series, 4-3 The Barn Doors are clo...
Tuesday, March 12, 2019
The Skinny on the Metro Playoff Race
Over 3/4 of the fans who responded to my Twitter poll got what they wanted - a regulation win for somebody, preferably Pittsburgh.
With the Penguin win, the Isles remain two points out of first place in the Metro, and now hold a game in hand over the Caps. The Isles are now two points ahead of Pittsburgh, four points ahead of Carolina and six points ahead of Columbus. All five Metro teams are currently in playoff position.
The Isles could move back into first place on Thursday with an Isles win and a Capital regulation loss to Philadelphia. That would give both teams 89 points and the Isles would still hold a game-in-hand.
Metro Playoff Watch
1. Caps 89 points/70 games/37 ROW (Thursday at Philadelphia)
2. Isles 87 points/69 games/36 ROW (Thursday vs. Montreal)
3. Penguins 85 points/70 games/37 ROW (Thursday at Buffalo)
4. Hurricanes 83 points/69 games/37 ROW (Friday at Columbus)
5. Blue Jackets 81 points/70 games/38 ROW (Friday vs. Carolina)
6. Philadelphia 76 points/69 games/32 ROW (Thursday vs. Washington)
Also, in Wild Card Race
Canadiens 81 points/70 games/35 ROW (Thursday at Islanders)
Carey Price became the winningest goalie in Canadiens history on Tuesday with a 3-1 win over Detroit.
The Blue Jackets currently hold the second Wild Card, so five Metropolitan Division teams are currently in playoff spots.
The magic number to clinch a playoff spot remains 19, but would fall to 15 with a regulation win over Montreal on Thursday. The magic number to win the division is now 27.