"The Skinny" By Eric Hornick Semi-Finals Game 7 Tampa Bay 1, Isles 0 Tampa Bay wins best-of-7 series, 4-3 The Barn Doors are clo...
Tuesday, March 18, 2008
1. Kyle Okposo's NHL debut means that all of the top 9 drafted players in the 2006 draft have played in the NHL. He played 14:45 with 2 shots and 1 hit. Florida draft pick Michael Frolik (10th overall) is the only player in the top 13 who has not yet played in the NHL.
2. Rob Davison scored the Isles' only goal, and it came from nearly 200 feet away.
3. The Isles had led for only 55 seconds in their previous five games, all losses, so perhaps it shouldn't be a surprise that they couldn't hold the lead in the third. The Isles were one of only six teams that hadn't lost when leading after two periods in regulation this season -- they are now 20-1-1. It's only the second time under Nolan (and first at home) that the Isles suffered a regulation loss after leading in the second intermission --the other loss was in Montreal 53 weeks ago -- the night DiPietro got hurt. The Isles are 49-2-6 under Nolan when leading after two periods.
and a few more...
4. Mike Comrie won 10 of 13 draws but was -2. Alex Steen lost 12 of 14 but had two assists and was +2.
5. Attendance was 13,134.
6. The Isles have lost six straight and have been outscored 26-9 in that stretch. They have lost five straight at home (all in regulation) and haven't won a game in regulation, home or away, since beaten Tampa 1-0 on February 21. (2-10-0 with 1 win in OT and another in a shootout).
7. Fort NeverLose has seen a series of streaks this season. Since the turn of the calendar, the Isles have played 16 games at home -- losing the first 7 (including 2 in ot), won four straight, and then lost their last 5.
8. Seventy-one apparently is an unlucky number. The Isles have lost six straight since reaching 71 points. Two years ago, the Isles also had a six-game losing streak after reaching 71 points.