Wednesday's result: PIT 5 at COL 2
The Wild Card Race
1. Isles 82 points in 72 games (Friday @ Columbus)
2. Pittsburgh 80 points in 71 games (Thursday @ Dallas)
3. Florida 79 points in 71 games (Thursday vs. Toronto)
4. Washington 74 points in 72 games (Thursday vs. Chicago)
5. Ottawa 73 points in 71 games (Thursday vs. Tampa Bay)
6. Buffalo 72 points in 70 games (Friday vs. New Jersey)
7. Detroit 71 points in 70 games (Thursday vs. St. Louis)
Isn't it Magic?
Pittsburgh can reach 102 points if they win their last eleven games while Florida can reach 101 if they win their final 11. That makes the Isles' Magic number 20 over Florida and 21 over Pittsburgh. While the Isles can reach 102 themselves only by winning out, they would almost certainly win the regulation win tie-breaker as they have 32 and Pittsburgh has only 26.
Clinching numbers vs. other East Conference teams: CBJ (Eliminated), MTL (2), PHL (7), DET (14), BUF (15), OTT (14), WAS (13), FLA (20)
The Isles have clinched at least 15th place in the East. They will clinch a playoff spot by guaranteeing a finish above eight other Eastern Conference teams, and will clinch the top wild card if they guarantee themselves a finish above nine other teams.
Thursday's Clinching Scenario
Isles will clinch 14th in East if Boston beats Montreal in regulation at TD Garden.
The Isles will be in the top Wild Card after Thursday's game, regardless of Pittsburgh's result in Dallas. While the Penguins can match the Islanders' 82 points in 72 games, the Isles hold the Regulation Win tie-breaker over every team in the Wild Card chase. Florida (31 RWs) is the only team close to the Isles (32 RWs); nobody else has more than 27 (Ottawa).
Post a Comment