The Isles defeated Columbus on Thursday to cut their magic number to 5; they also got help from Carolina, who beat the Rangers. Meanwhile, Pittsburgh jumped over the Rangers with a 5-2 win over Nashville.
(Through games of March 31)
Metropolitan Division Standings (Top 5)
xy Washington 54-16-6=114 points / 76 games (50 ROW) Idle
Pittsburgh 44-25-8=96 points / 77 games (40 ROW) Beat Nashville 5-2
NY Rangers 43-25-9=95 points / 77 games (40 ROW) Lost to Carolina 4-3
ISLES 42-25-9=93 points / 76 games (37 ROW) Beat Columbus 4-3
Philadelphia 38-25-13=89 points/ 76 games (35 ROW) Idle
Atlantic Teams in Wild Card Race
Boston 40-29-8=88 points/ 77 games (36 ROW) Idle
Detroit 38-28-11=87 points/ 77 games (36 ROW) Idle
x Clinched Playoff Spot
y Clinched Division Title, Conference Title and President's Trophy
Best They Can Do (By Winning Every Game in Regulation or Overtime)
- Pittsburgh 106 points/ 45 ROW
- NY Rangers 105 points/ 45 ROW
- ISLES 105 points/ 43 ROW
- Philadelphia 101 points/ 41 ROW
- Boston 98 points/41 ROW
- Detroit 97 points/41 ROW
- Washington: 4/1 @ Colorado, 4/2 @ Arizona, 4/5 vs. ISLES, 4/7 vs. Pittsburgh, 4/9 at St. Louis, 4/10 vs. Anaheim
- NY Rangers: 4/2 vs. Buffalo, 4/4 @ Columbus, 4/5 vs. Tampa Bay, 4/7 vs. ISLES, 4/9 vs. Detroit
- Pittsburgh: 4/2 @ISLES, 4/3 vs. Philadelphia, 4/5 @ Ottawa, 4/7 @ Washington, 4/9 @ Philadelphia
- ISLES: 4/2 vs. Pittsburgh, 4/4 vs. Tampa Bay, 4/5 @ Washington, 4/7 @ NY Rangers, 4/9 vs. Buffalo, 4/10 vs. Philadelphia
- Philadelphia: 4/2 vs. Ottawa, 4/3 @ Pittsburgh, 4/6 at Detroit, 4/7 vs. Toronto, 4/9 vs Pittsburgh, 4/10 @ ISLES
- Boston 4/1 @ St. Louis, 4/3 @ Chicago, 4/5 vs. Carolina, 4/7 vs. Detroit, 4/9 vs Ottawa
- Detroit: 4/1 vs. Minnesota, 4/2 @ Toronto, 4/6 vs. Philadelphia, 4/7 at Boston, 4/9 @ NY Rangers
On Their Own
- If the Isles go 2-3-1 they will clinch a playoff spot regardless of what everyone else does.
- If the Isles win their last 6 (including a regulation win over Pittsburgh) they will finish 2nd regardless of what everyone else does.
The Isles’ magic number is clinch a playoff berth is 5 over Detroit, 6 over Boston, 9 over Philadelphia, 13 against the Rangers and 14 against Pittsburgh. Any combination of Islander points gained and Red Wings points lost totaling 5 will guarantee that the Isles finish ahead of Detroit.
The Isles have clinched at least a 9th place finish in the East. The Isles also need to finish ahead of Philadelphia, Boston, Detroit, the Rangers OR Pittsburgh in order to clinch a playoff berth.
(Top 3 in each division, plus next two teams make the playoffs)
Boston @ St. Louis
Minnesota @ Detroit
Washington @ Colorado
The Isles Magic Number to clinch a playoff spot will fall to:
- 3, if the Red Wings lose in regulation
- 3, if the Red Wings lose in overtime or a shootout AND the Bruins lose in regulation
- 4, if the Red Wings lose in overtime or a shootout OR the Bruins lose in regulation
Pittsburgh @ ISLES
Buffalo @ NY Rangers
Ottawa @ Philadelphia
Detroit @ Toronto
When Can They Clinch?
Magic number is 5 vs. Detroit.
Isles host Pittsburgh Saturday. Detroit hosts Minnesota Friday and visits Toronto Saturday.
==> Isles would clinch spot Saturday if they beat Pittsburgh and Detroit goes 0-1-1 OR if they lose in overtime or a shootout and Detroit loses twice in regulation.
Magic number is 6 vs. Boston
Isles host Pittsburgh Saturday. Boston is in St. Louis on Friday and Chicago on Sunday.
==> Isles would clinch spot Sunday if they beat Pittsburgh and Boston loses twice in regulation
Since the Bruins and Red Wings have a game left with each other (next Thursday), there are some three-way combinations that would also see the Isles clinch on Sunday:
- Isles beat Pittsburgh, Boston goes 0-1-1 and Detroit goes 1-1-0 (or 0-0-2). That would give the Isles 95 points and give Detroit and Boston a possible maximum of 95 as well. However, only one could reach it because of their game against each other.
- Isles lose to Pittsburgh in an overtime or shootout, Boston goes 0-2-0 and Detroit goes 0-1-1. That would give the Isles 94 points and give Detroit and Boston a possible maximum of 94 as well. However, only one could reach it because of their game against each other.
Post a Comment