Monday, October 31, 2011
1. John Tavares did not skate - described as a "maintenance" day. Perhaps the 21 year old is getting a head start on some trick-or-treating. Look for a lot of 91s all over Long Island this afternoon!
2. Per Katie, the Isles have placed Trevor Gillies on waivers. Including Gillies, the Isles have been carrying 23 players, which means someone would have to go if Nino Niederreiter is ready to play.
3. Nino skated in Tavares' spot at practice today. Isles tweeted that Capuano said that "Niederreiter had a good practice today."
Around the league:
4. Ex-Isle Raffi Torres is getting some heat for his Halloween costume (really). Puck Daddy has the photo: http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Raffi-Torres-was-Jay-Z-for-Halloween-dark-skin-?urn=nhl-wp16211
5. Marty Brodeur has been taken off injured reserve by New Jersey. Keith Kinkaid heads back to Albany.
Kinkaid's college team (and my alma mater)-- Union College -is ranked #7 in the country by Inside College Hockey.
6. And oh yes, that Sean Avery guy was placed on re-entry waivers by the Rangers today. If not claimed by any other NHL team he is eligible to rejoin the Rangers at noon tomorrow. Avery was re-acquired by the Rangers using re-entry waivers three seasons ago. He is in the final season of a 4-year contract.
Forever1940 is the nom de plume of Eric Hornick, statistician on Islander home telecasts since 1982. Visit my blog: NYISkinny.com and follow me on Twitter @ehornick