- 3 Washington (SE Leader) 39 games 20-17-2 42 points (17 ROW) Next game: Tuesday at Montreal
- 5. Toronto 38 games 21-13-4 46 points (21 ROW) Next game: Monday vs. NY Rangers
- 6 Ottawa 38 games 19-13-6 44 points (15 ROW) Next game: Tuesday at Tampa Bay
- 7 NY Rangers 38 games 19-15-4 42 points (16 ROW) Next game: Monday at Toronto
- 8 NY Islanders 39 games 19-16-4 42 points (16 ROW) Next game: Tuesday vs. Philadelphia
- 9 New Jersey 39 games 15-14-10 40 points (13 ROW) Next game: Wednesday vs. Boston
- 10 Winnipeg 40 games 19-19-2 40 points (18 ROW) Next game: Tuesday vs. Buffalo
What's a ROW?
Regulation or Overtime Wins. Wins earned in a shootout do not count towards the first tiebreaker.
Isn't it Magic?
The Islanders' magic number (points earned by the Islanders or lost by the team that is not in a playoff position but has the highest possible points) for clinching a playoff spot is 17. Of the teams currently not in a playoff spot, New Jersey can reach the highest total (58 points).
The Isles will qualify for the playoffs if they can finish ahead of 7 other teams. Here are the maximum point totals, and respective Clinch #s for the seven teams currently not in a playoff spot.
New Jersey 40 pts in 39 games. Maximum points: 58. Clinch #: 17
Winnipeg 40 pts in 40 games. Maximum points: 56. Clinch #: 15
Buffalo 38 points in 39 games. Maximum points: 56. Clinch #: 15
Philadelphia 37 points in 38 games. Maximum points: 57. Clinch # 16
Carolina 34 points in 37 games. Maximum points: 56. Clinch #: 15
Tampa Bay 34 points in 38 games. Maximum points: 54. Clinch #: 13
Florida 32 points in 39 games. Maximum points: 50. Clinch # 9
Carolina at Boston
Rangers at Toronto
Buffalo at Winnipeg
Ottawa at Tampa Bay
Philadelphia at Islanders
Washington at Montreal
Pittsburgh at Carolina
Boston at New Jersey
Toronto at Rangers
Pittsburgh at Tampa Bay
Montreal at Buffalo
Florida at Winnipeg
Islanders at Boston
Ottawa at Philadelphia
Carolina at Washington
Ottawa at New Jersey
Rangers at Islanders
Pittsburgh at Florida
Montreal at Toronto
Boston at Carolina
Tampa Bay at Washington
Philadelphia at Buffalo
Tampa Bay at Buffalo
There are 20 days remaining in the NHL season. The season ends on Saturday, April 27th, with 12 Eastern Conference teams in action. The Islanders, Sabres and Jets all play their last game on Friday, April 26.
Forever1940 is the nom de plume of Eric Hornick, statistician on Islander home telecasts since January 21, 1982. Visit my blog: NYISkinny.com and follow me on Twitter @ehornick
To Piggy-back off of the "Clinch-number" as long as the Isles maximum points available is greater than the largest Clinch Number, the Isles control their own destiny.
Post a Comment