Ottawa has two games remaining -- at home against Philadelphia tonight, and in Boston tomorrow. Unless the Sens lose both games, each in regulation, the Islanders will finish 8th and face Pittsburgh.
Given that Consol is booked for Tuesday night, the series in Pittsburgh would likely open on Wednesday.
- 1 Pittsburgh (Atlantic Champion) 47 games 35-12-0 70 points (32 ROW) Final game: Saturday vs. Carolina
- 2 Boston (NorthEast Leader) 46 games 28-13-5 61 points (24 ROW) Final games: Saturday at Washington, Sunday vs. Ottawa
- 3 Washington (SouthEast Champion) 47 games 26-18-3 55 points (23 ROW) Final game: Saturday vs. Boston
- 4 Montreal 47 games 28-14-5 61 points (25 ROW) Final game: Saturday at Toronto
- 5.Toronto 47 games 26-16-5 57 points (26 ROW) Final game: Saturday vs. Montreal
- 6 NY Rangers 48 games 26-18-4 56 points (22 ROW) Regular Season is Over
- 7 NY Islanders 48 games 24-17-7 55 points (20 ROW) Regular Season is Over
- 8 Ottawa 46 games 24-16-6 54 points (20 ROW) Final games: Saturday vs. Philadelphia, Sunday at Boston
What are the tie-breakers?
- Fewest games played - (Boston 46, Montreal 47 puts Boston 2nd and Montreal 4th)
- Most ROW
- Head-to-Head record
- Goal differential for the entire season
Carolina at Pittsburgh - no playoff implications; could it be Kirk Muller's last?
Montreal at Toronto - huge implications and a possible playoff preview. If Toronto wins and Boston wins one of their final two these Original 6 foes will meet in the playoffs for the first time since 1979.
Boston at Washington - Bruins and Habs are tied for lead; Bruins have one fewer ROW but are currently ahead of Montreal due to having an extra game to play. If Bruins lost last two in regulation, Montreal wins the Northeast.
Philadelphia at Ottawa - A long-time foe can help the Isles by defeating Ottawa.
Florida at Tampa Bay - At least the weather is good.
Ottawa at Boston - It's possible that all four Eastern Conference playoff match-ups will be determined by this game, which is the final one in the NHL this regular season.